Definition of Coaching
The International Coach Federation (ICF) defines coaching as partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential.
Coaching is a distinct service and differs greatly from therapy, consulting, mentoring or training.
Individuals and teams who engage in a coaching relationship can expect to experience fresh perspectives on personal challenges and opportunities, enhanced thinking and decision-making skills, enhanced interpersonal effectiveness, and increased confidence in carrying out their chosen work and life roles.
The ICF Global Coaching Client Study (2009) and its accompanying Marketing Companion Guide provide a variety of statistics that support the positive work being done through coaching in companies and with individuals:
- 80 percent of individuals have experienced a positive change in self-esteem/self-confidence as a result of partnering with a professional coach.
- Companies that use or have used professional coaching for business reasons have seen a median return on Investment of 700 percent, or seven times their initial investment.
- 83 percent of coaching clients reported being “very satisfied” with their coaching experience.
- 96 percent of coaching clients indicated they would repeat the coaching process, given the same circumstances.
- 83 percent of clients feel that it is very important that coaching be done in accordance with a formal code of ethics.
- 40 percent of clients indicated that a financial change had occurred (while 19% were unsure) when asked if they or their company had experienced any financial changes (gains or losses) as a result of coaching.
- 68 percent of individuals indicated that they had at least made back their initial investment.
- 86 percent of those able to provide figures to calculate company ROI indicated that their company had at least made their investment back.
For more information on the benefits of coaching, please refer to the International Coach Federation website.